Your iPhone may have some important data and information you do not wish to lose. Thankfully, Apple provides easy ways to back up and restore your iOS devices. iTunes and iCloud are the two options available to the iOS users. Here is how you can back up your iPhone using the two options.
How To Back Up iPhone Using iTunes
Before you start the backup process, get the latest version of iTunes updated (if you already don’t have one.) You can check if you have the latest version from the Help menu by selecting Check for Updates. There are two ways to backup your iPhone using iTunes, wireless syncing and USB backup.
Wireless Backup: You can back up your iPhone wirelessly using iTunes. In order to do so, you will need to turn iCloud off on your phone. Here is how you can turn iCloud off:
- Go to Settings
- Tap on iCloud
- Choose Storage & Backup
- Turn off the data backup
Now, you will need to enable the Wi-Fi sync using iTunes. This you can do by following these steps:
- Go to Settings again
- Tap the option General
- Choose iTunes Wi-Fi Sync
You will see your computer in the list; choose it. Now, you will need to click on ‘Sync Now’ in order to start the backup. However, there are certain cases in which the sync will start automatically:
- When your iPhone screen is locked (which means you are not using the phone)
- Your iPhone is connected to the power source
- Your iPhone and computer both are connected to Wi-Fi.
How To Backup iPhone Using USB Cable: Backing up your iPhone with USB cable is also pretty easy. You again need to make sure that iCloud has been turned off on your device. iTunes backup cannot be created if iCloud is enabled. Turn off iCloud using the same steps as outlined above.
Here are the steps you need to follow to backup using iTunes:
- Connect your iPhone to the computer using the cable
- Launch iTunes
- On the left bar in iTunes under the section Devices, you will see your iPhone. Either right click on your phone or hold control while clicking. From the options that will appear select Back-Up.
- This will back up your iPhone without any hassle.
It is important to know the hard drive location where your iPhone files are being backed up. You will need to file at the time of restoration of the device. The backup files are saved in the Backup folder which is in the MobileSync folder in the root directory.
Restore your iPhone Using iTunes
You may need to restore your iPhone in certain situations. Here are the steps:
- Launch iTunes on your computer and connect the iPhone using the cable
- Right click or CTRL click your iPhone on the left sidebar under the section labeled Devices
- Choose the tab named Summary and then click on Restore. If you see the Restore option in Backup, you can click on that too.
- On your device screen you will see the message ‘Restore in Progress.’ You will also see the progress bar on the iTunes screen.
- After a while your iPhone will restart on its own. Make sure that the device has completely restarted and the progress bar on the iTunes screen has finished before you disconnect the USB cable.
How To Back Up iPhone To iCloud
iTunes backup is rapidly becoming old fashioned. With Cloud technology coming into the picture, more and more people are backing up their iPhone over the internet. It is more reliable and safer. Here is how you back up your iPhone using iCloud:
- First of all, make sure that your iPhone is connected to a Wi-Fi network
- Open the Settings menu on your iPhone and choose iCloud after scrolling down.
- Scroll down again and find Backup option; tap on it
- Make sure that the iCloud backup is enabled
- Tap the option Back Up Now to start the backup process. Make sure that your iPhone stays connected to Wi-Fi during the backup process.
This is how you can easily create the backup using iCloud. In case you wish to see the backed up file, you can follow these steps:
- Open the Settings menu again
- Select iCloud from the options
- Tap Storage
- Choose Manage Storage
- Choose your device listed on the screen
You will now be able to see the backup in the details section. You will be able to see the time and size of the backup.
iCloud Automatic Backup
If manual backing up is hassle for you, you can turn on automatic iCloud backup option. With this you will be able to back up your iPhone every day. Here is how you can do that:
- Make sure that the iCloud Backup option is enabled on your iPhone. For that, you can go to Settings, tap iCloud, tap Backup, and enable iCloud Backup.
- Connect your iPhone to the Wi-Fi
- Make sure that your iPhone is also connected to the power source
- Your phone will sync automatically only when the screen is locked
- You also need to have enough space in iCloud storage for the backup
Restoring Your iPhone Using iCloud
If you have factory reset your existing iPhone or need to restore the backed up files from the old phone onto the new phone, you can do that pretty easily. Here is how:
- Launch the new iPhone or the one you have wiped out. You will see the Setup Assistant asking whether you wish to ‘Restore from iCloud Backup’
- Tap on this option in order to restore from the previously backed up file. You can restore apps, data and settings
- You will be required to enter the username and password for iCloud
- You can pick from the 3 recent backup files. Most people usually pick the latest file until they have any specific need.
You will need to follow the simple onscreen instructions and your iPhone will be restored.